Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Out of this World!

Saturday we blasted off into party land as we celebrated E's 5th and A's 1st birthday. It was kind of tricky to come up with a theme that worked well for a five-year-old boy and a one-year-old girl, but we decided that we'd go with an outer space theme. E played the role of moon-roving astronaut and A was our shining star! Here are some pictures from the day . . .

After a rousing game of "protect the earth from asteroids", the kids posed by the rocket and mission control.

"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind!"

Here E's "very easy to make" moon cake! I just love cute ideas that are easy to pull off!

A's was another story . . . my goal was to create a regular old star, frost it in pink frosting, and cover it with a ton of sparkling sprinkles (to cover up any frosting flaws!!!) Somehow, I ended up creating a 6 point star . . . and had already frosted it before realizing that what I was creating looked a whole lot more like the "star of David" than the sparkling star that I had envisioned! Oh well, I think it still tasted pretty good!

After we finished eating supper, E announced to all of his friends that it was now time to do a craft project and create their very own space suits. You can imagine my surprise as I looked at the other moms and explained that this was the first I had heard about this - I didn't have any plans, or supplies for that matter, to create space suits. But, as usual, E already had a plan of his own. He promptly walked over to the hall closet and started assembling his space suit.

Then there was some card reading . . .

and some gift opening.

Of course they blew out their candles and . . .

ate their cake.

Thank you to everyone who helped to make this day so very special for our astronaut and shining star!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It WAS a great day and E, your craft was "super"!! We made GOOD MEMORIES! Grandma

Lindsay Gietzen said...

Our houses look a lot alike with the two shades of green with a white chair rail in the middle! I like it! I also have the same "girl with apples" pic in my dining room! Great minds think alike! Cute pictures! Looks like a fun party :)

Anonymous said...

Still laughing about the craft project. C'mon - don't you love their little thinking minds? Too sweet and a great theme for a party. Miss you guys! - Pam